Friday, August 24, 2012

"We Are Family"

So I digress...I guess this blog will not be ALL about cooking!  I would also like to branch out a bit into fitness, health, books, and whatever else is on my mind.  Today's topic brought on by this last weekend's amazing family weekend will focus on fitness.  I can't tell you how great it was to walk with my sister and niece each day of their visit - we walked a full hour each day, and this is in our VERY hilly neighborhood.  At the end of the visit, we promised we would keep each other motivated and inspired, and one week later, I can absolutely say 100% that the visit did me a world of good.

Those who know me have seen my "all or nothing" approach to things.  If I can't get in a full hour of exercise then why bother.  If I can only read one or two chapters at a time, what is the point?  It is a flaw for sure - I will get SO gung ho on something (Boot Camp, Body Pump, Walking, Visalus Shakes) - whatever it is - and then I simply fizzle after awhile.  Now that I have my new BEST FRIEND My Fitness Pal (check it out if you haven't!!!) I have such a great way to hold myself accountable, and also take my fitness journey with others.  And now I have all of you whom I do not want to let down!

I am surprised my computer is even working right now as I am dripping sweat all over it as I type.  But I was so excited to just post my fitness accomplishments for today onto My Fitness Pal.  I barely got off the treadmill and ran to my phone to log them.  Not only did I do the 45 minute Pump and Shred (Les Mills Body Pump - a weight training DVD) but I RAN 2 and 1/2 miles on the treadmill at a 6 mph pace (a 10 minute mile - a good start).  The ironic part, hence the title, was that I had my I Phone on Pandora on the "Disco Mix" channel, and the last song to come on was "We Are Family".  Oh how many weddings have we boogied up a storm to that song, including mine, just last August 26th.

It's funny how though I planned to keep this blog so food focused and not really share too much else, it's kind of fun to recap my days with others - some total complete strangers whom I have never even met.  Did I mention I actually have 50 or so page views in Russia?  Shout out to you guys overseas!  And a handful in Germany, the Netherlands and Costa Rica...is that you in Costa Rica, Chrissy?  I never thought I would have so much fun with this, but it is a great way to just freestyle write about whatever I want to.

Now that I have opened up my soul to those who are NOT on Fitness Pal, I feel I will hold myself accountable to myself and to you on here as well.  I won't promise miracles, but I will do what I can to keep on going on a day by day basis.  There will be some days when I need a rest day - that has been one of my mistakes in the past actually.  The Les Mills Pump program SCHEDULES for rest days and I would always skip them...and then burn out rather quickly.  So I promise to listen to my body and do the best I can to take care of it.  Hey - it's the only one I got.

I have some weight goals in my mind - did you really think I'd share numbers with you?  Hell to the no!  BUT...I do want to run another 1/2 marathon this year - maybe two.  Sarah...send me the link when you can!  I will remind you by text as well.  There is one in Athens, GA (my alma mater old stomping grounds and you actually get to run around Sanford Stadium!!!) that will be hilly, but a good test run, and then one in flat Florida in November that I would love to run with my niece.

For now, I am me and I am enough.  I am inspired by others, and I hope one day to be an inspiration to others.  I have so many good and wonderful things in my life and I have made the most of a lot of God awful things in my life.  We are who we choose to be.  So today, be yourself and have an AWESOME DAY!

Tomorrow is "date night" - my hubby has a surprise evening planned for our one year anniversary and all he has hinted is that it is dressy.  So I will take my magic pill and lose 20 pounds before tomorrow night.  Ha ha.  Wishful thinking.  I WILL take my vitamins in about 1/2 hour and then a long, HOT shower before heading to book club tonight.  And I WILL get in my exercise for tomorrow, most likely using Sunday as a rest day to relax and read on the porch.

Ciao for now!!!!


Mari

No comments:

Post a Comment