Monday, August 20, 2012

Chicken Parmesan with Julia and Her Friends

There is nothing more refreshing than hearing the giggles of teenage girls doing their homework at our kitchen table.  And even cuter when part of the reason they are here is because (in addition to the homework part), they want to try my chicken parmesan.  My recipe is one that I have created based on several different ones I have tried over the years.  It is easy and healthy and downright delicious if I do say so myself. 


Chicken Parmesan

8 thin sliced chicken cutlets
Spaghetti sauce of your choice (I prefer the tomato and basil Publix brand)
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Italian style breadcrumbs
Dipping sauce herbs
2 eggs
GOOD shredded parmesan cheese
Fresh basil
Olive Oil

Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.  With a large deep skillet, heat a swirl of olive oil on medium high heat.  Dip each chicken piece in beaten egg, then breadcrumbs that are mixed with dipping sauce herbs of your choice.  If you are not familiar with them, Publix sells them in the bakery section (wierd place I know - like why aren't they in the spice area?) and it is a small jar with 4 compartments like rosemary garlic, tomato basil...whatever spices you can find. 

Sautee the chicken for 2-3 minutes per side.  You can do 4 at a time, and when those are done, put into a baking dish and swirl a touch more olive oil in and do the next 4.  When all are done, top with spaghetti sauce, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese and basil.  Cook in the pre-heated oven for 10-20 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.

In the meantime, I made the pasta (again using the refrigerated kind because it is just SO much lighter tastewise.)  I also made some green beans (frozen that you boil - as close as you can get to fresh but cheaper and easier), salad, and Italian bread for dipping.  Oh and some fresh tomatoes with mozzarella cheese, balsamic vinegar and basil.


I feel very lucky to feel that at least for now, Julia's friends actually LIKE to hang out with us.  They are all super sweet girls and having 6 at the table is twice as fun as having 3.  I just love that food is what brings people together for fellowship and laughter.  And even though the pasta isn't homemade, I think things are different in this day and age when a working woman is not only putting in 40+ hours a week, but also trying to do things like exercise, read etc. 

LOVING the new Fitness Pal app that my niece introduced me to!  It helps track all my food, water, and exercise on my phone with goals in place.  So not only can I keep my food blog, but I can continue to focus on making healthy meals and making the progress I can with exercise, water etc. 






No comments:

Post a Comment