Friday, August 3, 2012

A Steak Marinade for A Day at the Lake Tomorrow

So you get gypped out of pictures of food I am preparing for tonight because we are having pizza for dinner.  Yep, sadly that is 3 times in the past week, and I don't even love pizza.  But Monday was the going away party for our friends so we ordered pizza for a pool party for the kids.  Wednesday was our weekly Buckhead Pizza tradition to play trivia.  And yes, tonight, it will be pizza again - and not even homemade pizza though I did get some inspiration from some recipes I saw.

Back to my point...we are going to the lake with some friends of ours tomorrow and they have this awesome grill so everyone basically brings what they want to grill and some side dishes and appies and we will hang out.  When I stumbled upon the new blog yesterday, I found another great recipe - a simple (but tried and true as per the writer) recipe, and I was ready to take it on!

Balsamic Marinate (we are using Flat Iron Steak)

Borrowed from the link above, and her blog shows that it was a recipe she modified from Martha Stewart.  She has a fancy link to get you to that place, but I am still new, so sorry 'bout your luck :)

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 tbsp dried rosemary
Coarse salt and ground pepper (thank goodness it doesn't say kosher; still need to look that up!)
1 pound skirt steak (I used flat iron)
1.  Trim the steak of excess pieces of fat.
2.  Place steak in shallow container, stab it all over with a fork and add all of the ingredients and shake...which makes me think shake, shake, shake...shake, shake, shake...shake your booty...shake your booty.  Okay - I digress.
3.  Martha says you can marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes; my new blogger "friend" has my approach - to throw it all together in 5 minutes or less the night before and marinate it overnight.

4.  My blogger gal broiled it; however, I am looking to grill it.  For broiling, it says 3 minutes per side to get medium rare, and grilling on medium, I will prob do an extra minute or two per side.

5.  Interesting tip she gave - once it is finished, you take it out (or off) and cover it with tinfoil.  She PROMISES it will stay blazing hot.  Then let it rest for 5 minutes so that you don't have a mess and that the meat is juicier.  I just LOVE learning all this new information!

Will save the marinade recipe for the pork loin I will be grilling on Sunday until either later tonight or Saturday...or maybe even Sunday depending on how the weather holds out.  I am hoping for a picture perfect lake day, but the forecast is sketchy.

Alrighty - ciao for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment