Thursday, August 23, 2012

Homemade Soup Using What We Have On Hand!

I like to consider myself creative, but I also usually need a blueprint for how to start a new recipe.  Tonight I decided to get wild and crazy and just experiment because our fridge is STILL ON THE FRITZ - what is this now -  2 or 3 weeks? - I just don't want to go grocery shopping until I know that all of our food can stay fresh.  We are using the outside "working" fridge for things like dairy products, leftovers and things along those lines, and the inside "broken-ish" fridge for things like sauces, marinades and things that I don't think will spoil.  A fridge is supposed to register at 37 degrees, so at 50 - 58 degrees, we are cautious of the inside fridge.

I knew my base ingredients - plenty of leftover egg noodles, some sauce from the beef stroganoff (no beef), some beef consomme soup and some fresh veggies.  It was just a matter of becoming a mad scientist and devising a plan.

I started out by chopping some baby carrots, celery, onion, fresh ginger, and garlic and sauteeing in some olive oil.  I then added a can of beef consomme soup and a larger can of beef stock.  From there, I started to throw in some spices - I believe I used tarragon, salt, pepper and perhaps a tad of chili powder to give it heat.  I also added in the leftover sauce from the beef stroganoff, and got even crazier and added a bit of horseradish sauce, soy sauce, worcerstershire sauce and half and half.  Oh, and I chopped up the leftover green beans into smaller pieces.  I really think that's it...and just let it simmer for about 1/2 hour.  And added in a bit of grated parmesan cheese.  Then I added in the leftover egg noodles and let it blend together for a few more minutes.  Just served it with some sliced Italian bread (for dipping) and let's just say it was YUMMY!!!

A vegetarian option would be to use vegetarian stock, delete the beef strogranoff sauce and I think that's all you would have to do.  We did not have a true meat in there...maybe tofu would be an option???

Anyways, it hit the spot and was super easy which is what I totally needed tonight!!!  Thanks to those who have joined me on My Fitness Pal.  Again, my user name is mariccarroll if you want to be my motivator (and I will motivate you).

Tonight the treadmill was NOT something I wanted to do.  I had god awful cramps and just felt puny - but I did still walk on it for 45 minutes at my 4 mph, just turned the incline down from 6 to 4, but still VERY proud because I "just did it"!!!

Tomorrow is FRIDAY!!!!  YAY!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Mari, that looks delicious! I love your "mad scientist" description. :) If you wanted to make it vegan, you could use leftover regular pasta (we almost always have some of that lying around) instead of egg noodles, vegetable stock, and throw in a can of chickpeas. I don't really like tofu in soup, tends to get even mushier when simmered for a long period of time or boiled at high temperatures. Tofu is best sauteed or fried, in my humble opinion. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele! This will be great that I can learn more about vegan/vegetarian. Duh - eggs come from chickens so I should know they are not vegan friendly. I am not a fan of chickpeas (though I love hummus), and glad to learn more about tofu (and still want a yummy recipe for this so I can get over my fear). Mushrooms would have taken this soup over the top, but alas, I live with two mushroom haters. Happy Friday!

      Delete
    2. grin..it's ok, Mari, vegetarians eat eggs so your spin on the soup would be fine for those folks! :) If you don't like chickpeas, cannellini beans would do just as nicely! I looooove mushrooms so if we ever have the opportunity to cook together you'll be in good company.

      Delete