Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Banana Bread (Crumble)

Since it's trivia night (so no food pictures), I figured I could share my recent baking debaucle.  How I managed to screw up my mom's tried and true banana bread is just beyond me.  Oh wait - I actually know why.  I am not a baker as self-admitted.  And as embarrassed as I am to admit this (but said I would stay true to everyone), I made the mistake of confusing a bundt pan with a large copper ice mold.  I knew the copper pan didn't look quite right - but - it  had pretty much the same shape so I figured it would work.  I then learned that it was much more shallow (evidenced by all of the batter that overflowed and burned onto the bottom of the oven and made for a horrid stench instead of having that yummy "my grandmother is baking something" scent).  What makes it more ironic is to see my note in the actual recipe below!

Anyways, this is a great recipe to use up over-ripe bananas IF you use the right pan.  Honestly, we still enjoyed it.  Just wouldn't have been something I proudly served.

Mimi’s Famous Banana Bread
Ingredients:
Directions:
·         1 cup sugar
Grease pan (best if in bundt pan).  Cream margarine.  Add sugar, eggs and the flour which you will sift with baking soda.  Mash the bananas in a separate bowl with lemon juice.  Add those to the sugar mixture and add the nuts.  Bake in bundt pan at 350 for one hour or until done. 

You could probably use another size pan like an 8 x 8, but you’ll want to bake it for less time and keep an eye out for it.  Or maybe do muffins???
·         2 sticks margarine
·         2 cups sifted flour
·         2 eggs
·         2 tsp lemon juice
·         3-4 ripe bananas
·         1 tsp baking soda
·         ¼ cup nuts (chopped pecans)

And here we have it...a crumbled (but tasty) mess!!  I'm thinking it will be a yummy topping for oatmeal or yogurt!

On a brighter note, we did some AWESOME back to school shopping today!  Scored 5 pairs of shorts, 5 shirts, and a dress for $115.  This was between Kohls, Ross, TJ Maxx and Target!  And as for the shorts, they are all too big in the waist so she can wear a belt this year and just take it in a notch each year (hopefully).  Here is the score from Kohls.  Gotta love it when you save 3 times what you spent.  Oh - and earned $10 in Kohls cash!

No comments:

Post a Comment