Sunday, August 26, 2012

Putting on the Ritz...Taco Salad Pictures Tomorrow

Many of you who actually know me for real know that today is my ONE YEAR anniversary - being married to the most awesome man who could ever exist is just a dream come true.  Obviously since I have a 15 year old, I have been married before, but this time is just SO different.  It is a true partnership - one where we honestly love each other more each day and concentrate on doing the small things for each other.  So...he had a surprise up his sleeve for last night, and my only clue was to "wear something dressy."

So I obliged of course, and got the surprise of my life.  Of course he had to be "funny" and kept saying we were going to Waffle House and actually did pull into the parking lot and was about to park...when he did say he was kidding.  Whew!

We were to stay at the Ritz Carlton in Buckhead and have dinner at Ruth Chris - two adventures I had never had!  I had always heard about the Ritz - how all employees are just over the top happy and acknowledging and empowered.  And it is totally true.  We checked in and they were literally oozing over us.  Acknowledging our anniversary and announcing our upgrade to a corner room.  Every time we passed an employee, they were greeting us and being sure we had everything we needed!

And would we like a complimentary glass of champagne to take to our room - uh - duh, yeah!  So we arrive in our GORGEOUS HUGE room with views of the skyline all around and there is a small chocolate cake with a HAND WRITTEN note to Mr. and Mrs. John Carroll to congratulate us on our anniversary.  Really...could it get much better?  Very nicely done John - seriously amazing!!!
So...we sit in the room for 45 minutes or so sipping on champagne and admiring the view before dinner.  We talk, and reminisce and just enjoy the time before we head out to dinner.  The "courtesy car" (a Lincoln Navigator!) comes to pick us up and we go to Ruth Chris Steak House, about a mile down the road. 

I found the PERFECT choice on the menu for me - I hate being stuck with just one option so for $34 (way less than most entrees), I found an AWESOME choice - a "Mixed Grill" that included a crab cake, a mucho petite filet and a small chicken piece stuffed with an herbed sauce.

We started with salads.  His was the classic caesar, and let me just say that the Harvest Salad may be the best thing EVER!  It was a spring mix - with goat cheese crumbles, cajun spiced pecans, dried cherries (the bomb dot com), and crispy onion straws on top with the most ridiculously delicious dressing ever.  I put it to the side halfway through to save room.

So the meal came and it was phenomenal.  But alas, I was stuffed.  Literally from all the hard fitness work I had done the week to 10 days before, I felt like my stomach had shrunk.  And I WANTED to finish it.  But couldn't.  I bribed the waiter with money so that he would buy a styrofoam cooler so I could have it for lunch today.  I asked if we could meet him at 11 AM today so I could have my leftovers.  But no dice.  It's all good.  I just know that next time I go to Ruth Chris we WILL have a place for leftovers!  Believe it or not (and I counted EVERYTHING), I came in at 8 calories UNDER for Saturday!

We went back to the Ritz and were treated like royalty again the second we stepped in the beautiful palace like hotel.  I admired the crystal chandeliers in the elevator and all the gorgeous artwork and architectural details...and had a wonderful night's sleep in a super comfy bed.

We awoke to our AJC in a FANCY bag,

and slowly got ready for the buffet breakfast that was included with the package that John had gotten.  I had to giggle when I read the room service menu and honestly found a breakfast that would have been $575!!!  Really???  Who does that?!?
Even with an "all you can eat" option, I chose a two egg white omelette with spinach, mushroom, tomatoes and peppers, as well as some fruit and bacon.  It was amazing, and I just wish I was not so shy about taking pictures in restaurants!  Oh...and I tried smoked salmon...not my favorite but glad I could try it for "free" so I knew not to order it!

We headed home after a goodbye to the Ritz


And we took a 4.5 mile walk (in our HILLY neighborhood) as well as did some yardwork. Believe it or not both our regular and miniature gardenia bushes are blooming, so I picked some blooms and put them in water for a wonderful look and smell!

We kind of giggled as we felt like we should be totally relaxing, but it was stuff that needed doing, so it was all good.  For dinner, John wanted Taco Salad, and who was I to say no after this AMAZING anniversary present?!?  More on that tomorrow complete with pictures! 

In the meantime, I got our family 3 tickets to see Train at Chastain Park on Friday, September 7th as an anniversary present.  And next year, I will plan the dinner and a night out so we can switch gears every year.

Not sure how I am allowed to be so blessed but sometimes just a fancy night out really rejuvenates you and renews you and relaxes you.  I am the happiest of happy - that's for SURE!!!




1 comment:

  1. Happy (belated) Anniversary to you both! It looks as if it was a wonderful celebration, worthy of a special couple! xoxo

    ReplyDelete