Monday, July 30, 2012

Got Back on that Grill!

After the scary fire the other night, I have been a little hesitant to grill.  I definitely did the salmon in the oven because I was very scared that the teriyaki sauce would increase my chances of another fire.  But I had to look fear in the face and do my thing, and I'm glad I did!  Tonight's menu was Grilled Chicken Drummettes, Roasted Broccoli, Leftover Cauliflower "Potatoes" and a Summer Salad based on something called "Fire and Ice."

Of course the first thing to do is start to marinate the meat, so again, having this blog is helping me remember what I put into the marinade because I took a quick pic.  I used some light salad dressings, basil, garlic, red onion, and two different spice blends - one that was called "Citrus and Tangy" and one that was "Asian".  Also added in a touch of rice wine vinegar and some of my favorite Soy Vey teriyaki sauce.


From there, marinated the drummettes, making sure they were all coated for the best flavors.
I just love broccoli, but get bored with the usual steaming of it, so I googled a recipe and played around with it.  After chopping the broccoli into large florets, I put together a mixture of olive oil and garlic and tossed the broccoli in that.  I roasted it for 10 minutes at 400 - the recipe called for 20 minutes at 425, but that just seemed like overkill.  While it was cooking, I put together a mixture of lemon zest, lemon juice, parmesan cheese, basil, and the last bit of the herbed goat cheese I used for the figs Thursday night.  It also called for roasted pine nuts; I didn't have any so went to roast some sliced almonds but missed out on the timer so the nuts didn't make it!  Topped with bread crumbs and cooked it for the 10 minutes or so and final result on right.  Tasted great and I will keep on playing around with it.

Somehow no one in our family except for me likes tomatoes, so this one was just for me!  My next door neighbor had given me some delicious FRESH tomatoes - the kind you can just inhale the smell.  I chopped them into quarters, added in some cucumber pieces (peeled first) and the balsamic onions from the other night.  That's all this needed, along with 1/2 hour or so for the flavors to blend.  SUMMERY and FRESH!
Then it was time to grill.  I made sure the grill stayed on medium heat, and kept my eyes on it for signs of smoking.  These drummettes are small, so just 6 minutes per side cooked them perfectly with a bit of a crunch, but not a burn!











In an effort to cut back on carbs, we served up the cauliflower mashed "potatoes" again, topping with new chives, and here was our tasty dinner.  Quick and easy too!


No comments:

Post a Comment