Monday, September 24, 2012

I'm Back! And Happy to Be Here :) And YUMMY Fish Tacos!

It's amazing that I let another 10 days go by...but we FINALLY got the fifth fridge part installed last Thursday so I scoured some recipe books over the weekend, did a huge grocery store run on Saturday and I am back in the saddle again!


When we last left our she-ra (that would be me!), I mentioned wanting to try some recipes from Hungry Girl.  I did take Michele's advice about watching out for processed food - and found enough items that appealed to me so that I can fix Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday (trivia night is Wednesday!).

I'll give some scoop on today's breakfast and lunch in another post, but the focus for today is on our DELICIOUS dinner tonight - see recipe below including some tweaks I made.  If you want the original, click on the link below.  I also incorporated some items from my friend Mary's fish taco recipe that she just shared with me!  Lastly, I doubled it b/c I was feeding a family of 3 - and we have leftovers! 

This got a two thumbs up from the hubby and a "this is really good Mom" from my 15 year old daughter!  Paired it with brown rice and ruby red grapefruit segments.  I only had one taco and it was very filling!  Perhaps because I was still relatively full from our awesome lunch (see next post)...though we also went for a fabulous 90 minute walk.  The air is cooling off with the arrival of fall, and even though the temps are still warm, the slight breeze helps to keep us cooler.

Grilled Go Fish! Soft Tacos
PER SERVING (2 tacos, 1/2 of recipe): 273 calories, 5.75g fat, 330mg sodium, 30g carbs, 5g fiber, 5g sugars, 27g protein -- PointsPlus® value 7*







Ingredients:
For Tacos
4 tbsp. lime juice
2  tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Four 4-oz. raw tilapia fillets (or other flaky white fish)
Eight 6-inch corn tortillas

For Avocado Coleslaw 
4 tbsp. mashed avocado
4 tbsp. fat-free sour cream

2 tbsp. low fat mayonnaise
Chopped cilantro
1 tsp. lime juice

Chopped red onion
Dash garlic powder, or more to taste
Dash salt, or more to taste

2 cups shredded cabbage or dry coleslaw mix
Optional
1/2 cup chopped tomato
Directions:


Combine lime juice and spices for the tacos in a large bowl, and mix well. Add fillets and evenly cover both sides of each with seasoned lime juice. If it's a little "limey", add some more of the garlic powder.  Let marinate in the fridge for at least 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for avocado coleslaw in a small bowl and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.  I didn't feel like grilling, so I baked the fish instead,  It probably took a good 15-20 minutes total at 350 degrees.  Once it was fully cooked, I broke it into pieces and put in a warming oven.

Spray sautee pan with olive oil cooking spray and heat tortillas until warm and just slightly toasted, about 1 minute per side.  Be careful that they don't get crispy or they won't fold!

Plate and spread the tortilla evenly with avocado coleslaw. Divide fish evenly divide among tortillas. Top with chopped tomatoes;  fold and enjoy!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

I cheated and used some "boil in a bag" brown rice (love that extra fiber!) and a jar of "fresh" ruby red grapefruit segments as side items.











4 comments:

  1. Yummy, I used to love fish tacos! I'm glad HG has cut down on her use of processed food and that you found some good recipes, can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I could eat BATCHES of that avocado coleslaw, without any fish, with some chopped tomatoes on top! Her original recipe called for making an "avocado cream" and then topping it with the slaw, but I used my friend's idea of adding them together. Seriously, it would probably even be good mixed into a salad. I do appreciate the advice on the processed and am focusing on the ones with real fruit and veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look/sound delicious - I love fish tacos! Also appreciate the idea of mixing avocado/guacamole with slaw - I am a big fan of broccoli slaw, and now plan to whip up a small batch for lunch tomorrow, to accompany my sandwich. Thanks for the tip - so glad you're back, and sharing your "quite culinary" skills with us... <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely was glad I mixed the avocado with the slaw - and used it as a topping on my veggie burger today! YUMMO!!! <3!!!

    ReplyDelete